SearchLink 2.3 – improved inline search for Markdown writers
I’ve bumped SearchLink up to v2.3, with a whole bunch of new features. I’m going to continue the SearchLink tips series as I have time, but for now, here’s a rundown of what’s new.
I’ve moved the entire project into a GitHub repository where you can view the code and download the codesigned Services, and I’ve split the documentation up from the beast of a single-page document into a wiki that should be more manageable moving forward. This also allowed for some automation in testing and deployment, which should prevent mishaps.
Read on for all the new shiny.
- DuckDuckGo Zero Click search
!zallows you to first check for DuckDuckGo’s Zero Click response (Instant Answers), which for certain searches (like ones where you want a dictionary definition or wikipedia page) will often reveal an instant link to an authoritative page. If no link is found in the result, it will fall back to running a standard
!gsearch, so you can use it instead of
!ddgand see if you prefer the results.
- Browser history and bookmarks
- I repaired the Safari History and Bookmarks search, updated the Chrome searches, and added support for Edge, Brave, and Firefox. See Searching Browser History and Bookmarks.
- Pinboard search
- More major improvements to Pinboard searching, including caching to speed up search times.
- Run SearchLink on a single fully-qualified URL to turn it into a Markdown link with the page title as linked text (using Gather if installed).
- Run SearchLink on a url ending in : to turn it into a reference link with title generated from hostname and/or url path.
- YouTube search
- Added a
!ytYouTube search. Results are solid if your search has enough of the correct words to find a video.
- More help
- You can run SearchLink on the word “help” for a popup overview of searches, but now you can also run it on “docs” or “wiki” to open the wiki in your browser.
- More embeds
!yte SEARCHto create a YouTube embed iframe.
!te TWEET_URLto create an embed from a Tweet link.
- See Creating Embeds for more info.
Miscellaneous Fixes and Improvements
- Allow space before per-document meta keys to allow nesting in YAML headers
- Refine software (!s) search. Ignore apple.com links, don’t include “mac” in search terms
- De-slugify reference titles when pulled from URL path, remove extensions
- Fallback title when Gather fails to get a page title
Download SearchLink below, see the project page for info, and visit the wiki for all the updated documentation. The latest releases can now always be found at github.com/ttscoff/searchlink/releases/latest. The changelog is available as part of the project page, and also hosted on GitHub.
Generate Markdown links from web searches without leaving your editor.
Updated 03/15/23. Changelog