I was a big fan of the Simplify music controller for Mac (and its companion iOS app). Since it died I’ve gotten along without it, but I definitely miss my Sideshow jacket I’d built for it. So I’ve been on a quest to find new tools to enhance my music listening on macOS.
There are two areas of control I’m looking for: audio controls, including EQ and per-app audio settings, and improved music playback control, including Last.fm support for Apple Music (and not just to improve my Soundtrack page).
Minimum audio controller requirements:
- Per-application settings for output device and volume
- 10-band EQ per output device
Minimum playback controller requirements:
- Last.fm integration and scrobbling1 (Spotify scrobbles on its own, but Music doesn’t)
- Works with both Music and Spotify
- Desktop artwork/info display
- Menu bar track/artist display
- System-wide keyboard shortcuts
So here’s what I’ve found.