Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with MightyDeals.com, featuring great deals on software, training, and design resources.
- The Dark Side of Dark Mode
- Adam Engst says what I’ve been feeling:
It may be hip and trendy, but put bluntly, Dark Mode likely makes those who turn it on slower and less productive. Here’s why, if you adopted Dark Mode purely because Apple promoted it as the new hotness, you should think hard about switching back to the Light Mode that your eyes and brain prefer.
- A simple but handy little tool for randomly exploring Google fonts. You can specify categories (serif, sans, mono, display) and then just shuffle through the fonts. When you don’t have specific requirements and are just looking for a good font, it’s a lot nicer to see a few at a time than pages of results…
- Deprecating scripting
- I’m tempted to write my own piece on Apple deprecating the scripting runtimes, but I find myself overly emotionally attached to the topic. I’m sure my thoughts will come out over time, but Dr. Drang’s post covers most of my points very well.
- MyHumans - Regain control of incoming iPhone calls
- This is what it’s come to, a call blocking app that only allows calls from your contacts (without modifying the rest of your notifications). Even with 3 call blockers running I still get multiple robocalls every day, so I don’t see any other option.
- Micro Album
- An app that lets you easily create limited sets of pictures so you can hand your phone to a friend without concern that they’ll swipe… too far.