Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with Codecademy, the easiest way to learn to code.
- Wes Bos
- Keep a Changelog
- What, why, and best practices for maintaining changelogs. It’s geared toward open source projects, but these are basic principles that all software releases should incorporate.
- As a side note, I think I’ve done a great job with Marked’s release notes. Some (most) of my other projects, not so much.
- Writing Workflows
- An in-depth look at developing writing workflows. I’m honored to point out that my SearchLink project is heavily featured in chapter 4.
- The naughty ways retailers track you online
- A great report from the team at Ghostery on all of the trackers and tools that retailers are using to collect and quantify your online shopping habits, including some tips for maintaining your privacy this holiday season.
- Siri may one day help you with name pronunciation
- Apple has filed a patent for a name pronunciation system. I don’t see this as a “help you pronounce” tool as a potential fix for Siri’s ability to recognize and pronounce names in everyday use. I’m quite certain I’m not the only one who’s had to adopt bizarre phonetic pronunciations of friend’s names to get Siri to comply, so here’s hoping this makes it into production.