The Markdown Service Tools have been updated to 2.10. I learned some new Ruby/UTF-8 tricks in the process, and they should all be capable of handling extended character sets now. Please download and test out the new versions. Let me know if you still have any trouble with Umlats, Kanji, Cyrillic, etc.

I’ve also updated the MarkdownToMindMap Service to handle UTF-8 characters. It took me forever to figure out why they were getting mangled, but I believe I’ve solved it in the portion of the script that copies the output to the clipboard using pbcopy. For future reference, the line now looks like this:

%x{printf "%b" #{Shellwords.escape(outdent(lines.join("\n")).strip)}|LANG=en_US.UTF-8 pbcopy}

The important part being LANG=en_US.UTF-8 pbcopy. Because it’s calling out to a shell, the $LANG variable I use system-wide doesn’t get set, but forcing it before the pbcopy command makes the utility respect UTF-8 encoding.

Markdown Service Tools v3.0.3

The Markdown Service Tools are a collection of macOS Services designed to make creating Markdown-formatted text that much easier. Services work in almos any macOS application.

Published 01/09/14.

Updated 09/14/20. Changelog

DonateMore info…

Markdown to MindMap v1.3

Convert plain text, Markdown headlines and Markdown lists to indented lists for pasting into mind mapping apps

Published 08/18/13.

Updated 01/09/14. Changelog

DonateMore info…