Instapaper (www.instapaper.com) is an excellent bookmarking service on the web (and related mobile applications), designed by Marco Arment, which allows you to quickly gather items to read later. It provides a text-only version of saved articles, as well as folder organization and archiving of read articles.
Instapaper Beyond is a Safari 5 Extension by Brett Terpstra which adds numerous features to Instapaper.
Click above for an overview video. It's fast, but you'll get the idea.
Convenience and speed
I have zero complaints about Instapaper, it's an excellent service which sticks to its minimalist principles. Instapaper Beyond is simply an experiment which grew into a full-fledged add-on for Instapaper. It provides increased speed and convenience for both navigation and reading of your posts and articles saved in Instapaper.
With folder navigation shortcuts, inline (Ajax) loading of text views, autoscroll, concentration modes, and much more, Instapaper Beyond adds unique elements to almost every aspect of Instapaper. If you're an Instapaper user, or just an avid web reader investigating Instapaper, I hope you'll find Instapaper Beyond to be a useful and easy-to-use add-on.
After the download completes, double click the .safariextz file to install. Instapaper Beyond will automatically be active the next time you visit Instapaper.com.
- Keyboard Navigation is the primary function of Instapaper Beyond. Single-keystroke navigation of main folders and two-keystroke navigation to any folder make surveying and reading your saved articles a cinch. Basic functions such as starring or archiving an article are a hotkey away, and you can move an article between folders with a couple of keystrokes.
- Quickly send an article to services like Evernote, Delicious or your own email application.
- Context-sensitive help system. Press the "h" key at any time when using Instapaper Beyond to see the available shortcuts for the current mode.
- Ajax text-view loading means that your reading material is loaded in the current page, allowing you to perform any function even while viewing the full article. Star it, move it, archive it, send a selection of it to another service, all with simple keyboard commands. Loading the previous or next article while you're reading is as simple as pressing "k" or "j," respectively.
- Instapaper Beyond packs in enhanced reading tools such as autoscroll (3 speeds), smooth scrolling, sequential paragraph highlighting and auto-loading of the next article when you reach the end of the current one.
- Extra utility. Robust features (like saving a list of all bookmarks in the current folder) which stay out of the way until you need them make Instapaper Beyond surprisingly powerful.