Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with MightyDeals.com, featuring great deals on software, training, and design resources.
Because I’m a bit behind, I’m posting a larger collection than usual this week. I doubt I’ll hear any complaints, so I’m not sure this paragraph is necessary. Thank you for reading it anyway, I owe you 15 seconds of your life back.
- SketchParty TV for the new Apple TV: The Story so Far
- SketchParty TV is my favorite party app. My friends love it, my family loves it, and it’s basically awesome for any gathering that includes an Apple TV. It can run off an iPad to a previous-gen Apple TV, but it’s now available natively for the new Apple TV. This post from the developer (Matt Braun) offers intriguing details about the development and marketing process that will be of interest to both developers and users.
- VOX 1.1.1 imports YouTube tracks
- One of my favorite music apps (on Mac and iOS) just updated its iPhone app with the ability to stream YouTube tracks to the VOX music library.
- Exporter for Notes.app
- There’s been a lot of interest in the latest version of the Notes app from Apple. While it offers an excellent, ubiquitous tool for note taking, there are concerns about portability (at least within my little circle where that’s long been a topic of discussion). This little app bridges Notes with plain text, offering a little peace of mind for forward-thinking plain text lovers.
- Company Logo API
- Clearbit has released an API for grabbing company logos from URLs. It provides a great tool for bloggers who need a quick image for a company without digging through a web inspector to lift a logo from a company website. In combination with iTunesIcon, SearchLink, and URL Preview, it’s like we don’t even need to blog anymore.
- Let’s Encrypt
- A free, automated, and open certificate authority from the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG). SSL encryption for everyone, with a CLI that can automatically configure a web server.
- For Cocoa developers, NibDesignable offers an elegant way of enabling IBDesignable on nib-based views. Via Caylan Larson.
- Orzly USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Type A (USB-A)
- If you’re looking for a USB-C cable to connect your Apple TV to your Mac for development, this one is inexpensive ($8.99 right now) and Michael Redig (author of Doku for iOS and Apple TV) has confirmed it works.
- Productive Writer’s Bundle
- Just in case you missed the announcement (and because I know we’re a little late in getting the word out in time for NaNoWriMo), be sure to check out The Productive Writer’s Bundle, including Marked 2, Texts, WordCounter, iThoughtsX, and more at a steep discount.