Web excursions brought to you by MightyDeals.com, featuring great deals on software, training, and design resources.
There’s a lot of news to share and I’ve been short on writing time all week1. I figured rather than let good stories slip by, I’d encapsulate them in an Excursions post. Semi-Automated blogging for the win.
- Evernote Essentials
- Brett Kelly wrote the definitive book on Evernote a while back. He released version 4 yesterday. It has new chapters, updates for the latest features, and you can get it as a DRM-free ePub in addition to PDF.
- Make A Meal Of It
- This iPhone app lets you find great recipes based on a set of criteria ranging from ingredients to dietary restrictions. Set your preferences and start browsing for your next meal.
- A Beginners Guide to Pinboard
- Shawn Blanc offers some great tips for using Pinboard. Of all of the services I’ve signed up for in the last 5 years, Pinboard has gotten the most use by a long shot.
- Write for iPhone updated
- Write for iPhone (reviewed previously) has updated for iOS 7 with an awesome new feature: inline Markdown formatting. Similar to what FoldingText and Texts do, it does an amazing job of showing your headlines, lists, emphasis, et al as rich text while maintaining the plain text Markdown in the document. The Write update also includes some really good-looking new themes.
And, of course, the requisite GitHub discoveries: